Wednesday 5 December 2012

Introducing...Pukey McPukerson & Her Skinny Jeans Phenomenon

Hey people!

This is the longest I've gone without posting! I have just been up to my beautiful eyeballs this last week! Good complaint, I suppose!


So how am I getting on...?

I still feel incredibly in control and focused on everything. I think this is the longest I have gone without 'ruining' this 'lifestyle change.'

The weekend was full of highs as I managed to man-handle myself into my first ever pair of skinny jeans!!!! I NEVER thought I would fit into them as I have huge Irish-Dancing-induced calves and thunder thighs that would put any  overweight superhero to shame. 


Me in a pair of straight legged jeans
SKINNY JEANS!

I've had a busy week so far. I spent about two hours Sean Nós dancing on Sunday (thanks Cathy - and yes I've been practicing!). I legs were quite achy on Sunday evening! 

From Monday, I decided I needed to shake things up and increase the intensity of my exercise before I reached a plateau. The very lovely Róisín Thomas (from Metafit!) offered to come running with me. Apprehensively, I took her up on her offer. When I say I was apprehensive, I guess I was just worried that I wouldn't be able to run at her pace or the distance she was aiming for. However, Shauna's words kept ringing in my ears 'PUSH YOURSELF.' So I replied to her text and agreed a time of 7am on Monday morning, 

On Monday,  my alarm went off at 6am. After putting my alarm clock on snooze until 6.20am I jumped out of bed and made myself drink some coffee (I hate coffee, but I felt I needed a kick start). I manhandled myself into my running skins and hopped in the car. I met Róisin at a local shop. She told me were were going to take it nice and easy, and she really made me feel at ease (inside I was positively shitting myself!). We agreed on a target landmark. So off we went, pounding the pavements of Achill Sound, and being guided by streetlights. I was still dark. I felt like a crazy person. 

Running felt SOOOO good. We got to around 3km and our landmark, but Róisín kept going forward. I was delighted though, as I was really enjoying it and my head was 'in the space.' We incorporated a loop into our run and before long, we were running towards home. A couple of times, Róisín said 'right, up the pace until we get to the next sign.' I really had to push myself to keep up...but I did. Then we were about 500m from home, and I felt as if I was going to die. I am not even joking. You hear about these 'runner's walls' people face, so I thought it was one of those so I just pushed through - despite my feeling of impending doom. We sprinted the last 200m or so. For a split second, I was ecstatic that I had managed to run 7.5 km without stopping having not run that distance since last August.


However, my ecstasy was short-lived. My impending doom feeling came pack to haunt me. And it wasn't pretty. I threw up...yup out came my coffee! It was disgusting. I was sooooo mortified puking in front of Róisín. I am sure she was dying to laugh inside (as it was funny), but she remained composed God bless her! Despite the disgustingness of it all, I have to admit I felt great. I think it was my body telling me....'o hold on a second McGinty, you're pushing me out of my comfort zone.' My body just went into shock. And that is what made puking so great. 


I should have got a picture of it....:p

I enjoyed a super hot shower and poached eggs when I got home (not together, mind!). I was buzzing for the whole day, and it really made me realise - why would anyone pay for happy pills when you have exercise? 

Monday night was Metafit night. It was a fairly challenging workout and I sweat a lot! Róisín and I agreed to run again on Tuesday morning. I did some stretches before bed so I would be as right as rain the next morning. I tried to have an early night but I just couldn't sleep. I eventually fell asleep at 4am. 

Needless to say, I slept through all 25 alarms I had set. Thankfully, my most reliable alarm clock - mammy McGinty' came and woke me up at 6.45. Without my coffee, I set off again to meet Róisín. We aimed for 8km on Tuesday and I felt confident despite my pukiness and slighted achiness from Mondays run/Metafit. 

We got to the half-way mark and stopped to stretch a little bit. It was a bitterly cold morning so it had been hard to warm up. I think the stretching gave me my second wind! Off we went again. I was really trying to concentrate on getting my breathing right. I find breathing while running really difficult (and yes, I know it is sort of necessary!). I could feel blisters forming on the soles of my feet but I tried to ignore it and keep going. That was my main goal...not to stop. 

All was going well (well apart from a but of a breakdown at 7km, through which Róisín became my psychologist!) until, again, 200m from home, my stomach started cramping. I had to stop and as soon as I did I become overcome with the feeling of frustration and the need to puke. I started dry retching, but as there was nothing in my tummy, Little Miss Pukey McPukerson stayed in her box. I tried to start running again but I just couldn't. I actually thought I was going to pass out. So I gave in and walked. Body 1 - Siobhan 1. 


Bad news though., I acquired some seriously impressive blisters on my feet! And before people start hounding me with suggestions, YES I got a gait analysis done before I bought my trainers, NO my trainers don't need replacing and YES I have tried 1000 mile socks. I usually run with two compeed patches stuck to my feet...but that just didn't cut it this time!


You probs don't want to see this but seeing as you didn't get a picture of my vomit, you should count yourself lucky :p

Waking up on Wednesday (today) was cruel. I felt like I had been hit in the face by 2 weeks worth of DOMS. As soon as I got up and did some stretches, I was fine though, and looking forward to kettlebells this evening. 

Kettlebells was really good this evening. We used the 12kg weight for a few swings and ab work. Lying here in bed, I can feel some tightness in my tummy -WOOHOO!!!

Is it wrong that I get a kick from self-inflicted pain through exercise?

On a more negative note, I weighed myself today. I KNOW, I KNOW, I promised myself I wouldn't but I really feel as if I am skinnier than I ever have been. I was sickened to see I am still around the 10 stone mark. But bla bla bla muscle...fat...etc. 

Anyways, I have to go and sort out these stupidly sexy blisters. I have another run in the morning with Róisín - we might hit the 9km tomorrow! Tomorrow evening I have dancercise, which I LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!! 

Over and out,

Siobhán

P.S. I will do the challenge on Friday! :) 
P. P. S. Before and after pictures (half naked) coming next week! :/ 

2 comments:

  1. soooo impressed and proud but also super jealous and actually a little grossed out by the puking and blisters! !xx you're pretty inspiring xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Neasa, thank you so much! To keep it off now is the thing!

    RE the puking and the blisters - I just want people to know that I go through pain and get over it! No pain no gain! it's not all sunshine and butterflies!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to keep me motivated :)